Monday, April 13, 2009

Can somesone give me a quick anaylsis of this poem "The flower"? and At the End by Ed Meek?

This isn%26#039;t my homework, but I think it would be better to do my english homework on poems I have somesort of understanding of instead of just picking two poems.





Alfred, Lord Tennyson


The Flower


Poem lyrics of The Flower by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.





Once in a golden hour


I cast to earth a seed.


Up there came a flower,


The people said, a weed.





To and fro they went


Thro%26#039; my garden bower,


And muttering discontent


Cursed me and my flower.





Then it grew so tall


It wore a crown of light,


But thieves from o%26#039;er the wall


Stole the seed by night.





Sow%26#039;d it far and wide


By every town and tower,


Till all the people cried,


%26quot;Splendid is the flower!%26quot;





Read my little fable:


He that runs may read.


Most can raise the flowers now,


For all have got the seed.





And some are pretty enough,


And some are poor indeed;


And now again the people


Call it but a weed.

Can somesone give me a quick anaylsis of this poem %26quot;The flower%26quot;? and At the End by Ed Meek?
hmm well if you look at this and go no deeper then the words on the paper its about someone planting a seed and it growning... then people putting it down, then admiring it and then once again putting it down. But well actually im not sure how deep this poem goes.


The one about the old man was really good though... Yes at the end %26quot;He was ready to wade on in%26quot; means he was ready to accept death
Reply:The Tennyson poem is rather uninteresting and unenlightening if you take it at face value. But Tennyson was a major poet and I wonder if there isn%26#039;t something more here than the little story of a flower%26#039;s rise to popularity and then its decline again to weed status. What occurs to me is that maybe he is talking by analogy about his style of writing poetry. At first it wasn%26#039;t appreciated - considered a weed in the garden of poetry. But then others started imitating it - stealing it to his way of thinking - and suddenly it became widely popular. Then it became too widely imitated and people got tired of it and again didn%26#039;t care for it. This is all a guess on my part and could well be very wrong. To me it is not one of his better poems by any means. When you think of something like %26quot;Crossing the Bar%26quot; it seems pretty mundane and unimaginative.





The second poem there is no doubt about. It is a profound subject treated with great reality and feeling. It is not done by as accomplished a user of language as the first one, but the subject and the sincerity of it more than make up for it in my opinion. It has an immediacy that puts you right there feeling the old man%26#039;s pulse and realizing he will soon be gone, and that he is ready to accept it.



finance

No comments:

Post a Comment